French Error Messages in BBEdit from Bash 4 on Sierra

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue Jan 17 13:16:16 UTC 2017

On 2017-01-17 06:48, Christopher Stone wrote:
> Bash 4.4.5(1)-release was installed via Macports.
>
> I have no language or locale setting options in my ~/.profile.

So what are the values of the environment variables such as LANG,
LC_ALL, etc. inside Terminal? What is the output of 'locale'?

I usually set LANG and LC_ALL explicitly, but if I remove that from my
bash startup files and add a secondary language in System Preferences, I
can actually reproduce this strange problem in Terminal with
/opt/local/bin/bash being my login shell.

It looks like /bin/bash is not linked with gettext (libintl), so it will
never localize messages. I have to guess this is a bug with gettext
selecting the language that somehow ends up with the secondary language
(off-by-one?).

This needs further investigation whether all software using gettext is
affected, but the report from Ryan about GIMP already suggests that this
is the case.

Rainer