French Error Messages in BBEdit from Bash 4 on Sierra

Christopher Stone listmeister at thestoneforge.com
Wed Jan 18 00:37:36 UTC 2017

On Jan 17, 2017, at 07:16, Rainer Müller <raimue at macports.org <mailto:raimue at macports.org>> wrote:
> So what are the values of the environment variables such as LANG,
> LC_ALL, etc. inside Terminal? What is the output of 'locale'?

Thanks Ryan and Rainer.

Bash 4 (Macports) in the Terminal:

chris$ locale
LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

BBEdit:

#!/usr/bin/env bash
locale

LANG=
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_CTYPE="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_ALL=

CodeRunner:

#!/usr/bin/env bash
locale

LANG=
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_CTYPE="UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_ALL=

TextMate:

#!/usr/bin/env bash
locale

LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

To reiterate:

This issue did not occur on my macOS 10.11.6 system.

Only when I “upgraded” to Sierra did it occur.

SysInfo: { MacBookPro6,1 · 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7 · 8GB RAM · OSX 10.12.2 }

Alright.  I've set LANG and LC_ALL to "en_US.UTF-8" in ~/.profile, and this is defeating the problem.

It sure looks like a bug though.

--
Best Regards,
Chris