Missing /opt/local/share/man/whatis DB

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Thu Jun 22 03:09:20 UTC 2017

And ideally, anything that installs (or removes) man pages from a man page directory should, after installing (or removing) the pages, run makewhatis, e.g.

/usr/libexec/makewhatis /opt/local/'share/man

to regenerate the index for that man page hierarchy.

That would (assuming /opt/local/share/man is in MANPATH or in /etc/manpaths or an /etc/manpaths.d file) allow "whatis" (or man -k) to find the pages.

It's not perfect; some man pages may not play nice with it.  But if you don't run makewhatis, it definitely won't work.