Missing /opt/local/share/man/whatis DB

db iamsudo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 08:27:18 UTC 2017

On 22 Jun 2017, at 05:09, Richard L. Hamilton <rlhamil at smart.net> wrote:
> And ideally, anything that installs (or removes) man pages from a man page directory should, after installing (or removing) the pages, run makewhatis, e.g.
>
> /usr/libexec/makewhatis /opt/local/'share/man

If you have man 1.6g via macports you might want to use `sudo makewhatis -w`, but it doesn't seem to work.

-w     Use manpath obtained from `man --path`

$ sudo makewhatis -w
tr: Illegal byte sequence

On the other hand

$ sudo /usr/libexec/makewhatis -v `man --path | tr : ' '`

works but duplicates some entries, as expected I suppose.