python development environment on a mac

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 17:48:32 UTC 2017

On 15 March 2017 at 18:03,  <macports at parvis.nl> wrote:

> OK. next problem.
>
> he has an older imac and a newer macbook pro (soon), with different versions of osx/macos, so the python system environment will be different.

No. If you install python27 and python36 with MacPorts, he'll have
exactly the same version(s) of Python available.

The only important thing is to call the right python when executing
the script. If you do "port select" for "python2" and "python3", just
call "python2 your-python-script.py" and/or "python3
your-python-script.py" and the result should be the same on any
machine (unless that version of python would not compile on that
particular OS, but I don't think this is an issue unless you are on
10.4).

> to be able to work on both macs i think virtualenv may be right way to go.
>
> do you agree or not?

No. Virtualenv is when you require very specific versions of
dependencies that MacPorts cannot fulfill.

Mojca