building from source with libc++

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Mar 24 18:21:38 UTC 2017

On Mar 24, 2017, at 08:42, db wrote:

> I use 10.8 (don't need/don't want to upgrade) and stumbled upon a couple of ports that require libc++.

Upgrading to a version of macOS with libc++ as default (10.9 and later) will probably make your MacPorts life easier, but it's up to you of course.

> So I gave building from source a try in a vm following these instructions and soon encountered a couple of problems with python2_select (needed base updated)

What do you mean?

> and xorg-libX11 (attached config.log), which is working fine in another system with same versions.

Another 10.8 system that you've also switched to libc++? Any differences between the two systems you can think of?

> Are there any caveats when always buildling from source in MP?

Not really. You could run into build problems. If you do, and it doesn't seem to be because of something unique to your system, please let us know.

> Should I file a ticket for xorg-libX11?

Sure. The error shown in the config.log seems to be:

configure:18768: checking for cpp
configure:18799: result: /usr/bin/cpp
configure:18815: checking if /usr/bin/cpp requires -undef
configure:18835: error: /usr/bin/cpp defines unix with or without -undef.  I don't know what to do.

That seems weird.