building from source with libc++

db iamsudo at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 19:50:45 UTC 2017

On 24 Mar 2017, at 19:21, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
> Upgrading to a version of macOS with libc++ as default (10.9 and later) will probably make your MacPorts life easier, but it's up to you of course.

Despite the overall lower quality and usability of 10.9+, I don't see how, since MP in 10.8 can be configured to use libc++.

>> problems with python2_select (needed base updated)
> What do you mean?

I don't remember the exact error, but it failed to compile — it succeeded when I upgraded the base from 2.3.x to 2.4.1.

>> and xorg-libX11 (attached config.log), which is working fine in another system with same versions.
> Another 10.8 system that you've also switched to libc++? Any differences between the two systems you can think of?

OS X 10.8.5, Xcode 5.1.1, MP 2.4.1 — no differences that come to mind.

> Not really. You could run into build problems. If you do, and it doesn't seem to be because of something unique to your system, please let us know.

Should I expect to encounter problems when switching to building from source with libc++ for the same ports whose binaries work fine with libstdc++?