Trouble upgrading Macports to Sierra

Barrie Stott zen146410 at zen.co.uk
Thu Mar 30 15:32:01 UTC 2017

I recently installed Sierra and am now coming to migrating my MacPorts ports using https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration. Steps 1 and 2 seemed ok but step 3 failed  with the following information:

gbs:macports $ port -qv installed > myports.txt
Error: Current platform "darwin 16" does not match expected platform "darwin 15"
Error: If you upgraded your OS, please follow the migration instructions: https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration
Error: /opt/local/bin/port: Failed to initialize MacPorts, OS platform mismatch
gbs:macports $

I put the error message about “darwin 16” into google and was given the following:

The error is explaining very well what is happening and the recommendation is to visit the Migration website for further instructions.
My recommendation (and tested of course) is to just download the latest macports, the Sierra version and install it.

I am happy to try this but I would prefer suggestions to come from  Macports folk. If anyone can help I’d be very grateful. I presume that I would use ‘sudo port selfupdate’.

Barrie.