Trouble upgrading Macports to Sierra

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Thu Mar 30 15:38:24 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 30/03/17 16:32, Barrie Stott wrote:
> I recently installed Sierra and am now coming to migrating my MacPorts ports using https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration. Steps 1 and 2 seemed ok but step 3 failed  with the following information:
>
> gbs:macports $ port -qv installed > myports.txt
> Error: Current platform "darwin 16" does not match expected platform "darwin 15"
> Error: If you upgraded your OS, please follow the migration instructions: https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration
> Error: /opt/local/bin/port: Failed to initialize MacPorts, OS platform mismatch
> gbs:macports $
>

> I put the error message about “darwin 16” into google and was given the following:
>
> The error is explaining very well what is happening and the recommendation is to visit the Migration website for further instructions.
> My recommendation (and tested of course) is to just download the latest macports, the Sierra version and install it.
>

> I am happy to try this but I would prefer suggestions to come from  Macports folk. If anyone can help I’d be very grateful. I presume that I would use ‘sudo port selfupdate’.

Step 2 of the guide says

     Reinstall MacPorts base

     After updating the development tools, install the base MacPorts
system for your new platform, either from the appropriate installer or
from source.

This step is before the one where you are asked to run

  port -qv installed > myports.txt

So yes, you should do this.

No, do not do 'selfupdate' but as the above says, either use the
installer or build from source.

Chris