cppunit requires C++11 capable compiler now

Michael Dickens michaelld at macports.org
Tue May 2 17:13:58 UTC 2017

The new CppUnit has an interesting issue: #include'ing the header,
whether directly or indirectly, results in requiring linking to the
library, because there is a new static variable in the primary namespace
in the header.

I think this is poor programming because, as an example, I might
#include a header that in turn #include's the log4cpp header, but might
project doesn't use or require log4cpp & this indirect inclusion forces
it to do so.

I think that the issue should be fixed upstream, but I'd like to suggest
to them a reasonable fix. Thus, I'm trying to understand why they want
to do it that way in the first place, what they are trying to do, before
creating a viable patch (the current patch in that port doesn't work in
all cases, but it fixes the immediate issue that I mention above).

The variable name is "appenderMapStorageInitializer" and it is located
in "include/log4cpp/Appender.hh". I value anyone's thoughts on what's
going on & the proper way to fix it.

Cheers! - MLD