cppunit requires C++11 capable compiler now

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Tue May 2 00:45:05 UTC 2017

> On May 1, 2017, at 20:06, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>
> Yes it looks like cppunit now requires C++11, which means everything that requires cppunit now requires C++11 too. Which means problems for users of macOS versions earlier than El Capitan.
>
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/54078
>

>> On May 1, 2017, at 11:41, Richard L. Hamilton <rlhamil at smart.net> wrote:
>>
>> That was it - reverting cppunit back to @1.13.2_0 (rather than the new @1.14.0_0) gets rid of the rev-upgrade problem.
>
> Well, it ignores the problem...

It was the simplest way to be sure that cppunit was the problem.

Also, while in the long run, whatever needs fixing for "port upgrade" to work should be fixed, in the shorter run, I want whatever I actually have installed to work, even if I can't update everything. :-)  Since it's just me, I can deal with a few minutes or hours breakage (and don't need a test system plus rigorous configuration control of non-test systems), but would prefer not to leave anything lying around broken.

Is there a practical way to spot problems caused by a proposed upgrade for its dependents, before that proposed upgrade is released?  Rev-upgrade ultimately catches a lot, but a full rebuild is not a reasonable requirement for releasing individual upgrades.  But is it reasonable to test at least some of the dependents before releasing an upgrade, to reduce the degree to which end-users involuntarily participate in testing? :-)