Terminal problems after ports update

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Mon May 8 21:42:00 UTC 2017

Every Monday I update Macports, but this time I'm starting to see some
weird problems.  Firefox (the latest) was misbehaving in a way that took a
reboot to fix; can't be more explicit than that but I do recall that it
wouldn't restart properly, and when I killed it it wouldn't start from the
task bar.

Then I find that Gnuplot isn't quite working; whenever I use "^P" to
scroll back through the command history a newline is not taken, but a
shell escape shows the TTY modes are correct; however, things like "reset"
give the message "can't initialize terminal type xterm-256color (error
-1)" even though Gnuplot reports it as "aqua".

However, things like VI work OK, so it doesn't look like a TTY mode bug.

Anyone else having these problems following a recent update?

MacBook runs 10.12.4, Firefox is 53.0.2 (64-bit), Gnuplot is 5.0.6.