migrating MacPorts to High Sierra: "All compilers are either blacklisted or unavailable..."

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Nov 11 09:47:36 UTC 2017

On Nov 10, 2017, at 15:53, Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> Now in doing substep e, ending with...
>
>    sudo ./restore_ports.tcl myports.txt
>
> I get warning messages:
>
>   Warning: All compilers are either blacklisted or unavailable; defaulting to first fallback option
>   Warning: All compilers are either blacklisted or unavailable; defaulting to first fallback option
>   Warning: All compilers are either blacklisted or unavailable; defaulting to first fallback option
>   Error: we appear to be stuck, exiting...
>   infinite loop
>       while executing
>   "sort_ports $portList"
>       invoked from within
>   "set operationList [sort_ports $portList]"
>     (file "./restore_ports.tcl" line 285)

The message "All compilers are either blacklisted or unavailable; defaulting to first fallback option" can appear if the port you're trying to install genuinely cannot be built using any compiler present or compilable on your system. In that case, it is not possible to install the port.

However in this case the "infinite loop" message makes me wonder if there may be a dependency cycle in the ports you're trying to install. If so, we need to know which ports are in the cycle, so that we can break it somehow.

Please continue trying to install individual ports until you can identify which ones can't be installed.

> I wondered about the fact that Xcode itself is 9.1, whereas the Command Line tools are 9.0, yet.
> Is that the cause of the problem? I don’t see how to install any later version of the Xcode Command Line Tools.

I don't see any Command Line Tools for Xcode 9.1 on Apple's developer downloads site. The newest I see is Command Line Tools for Xcode 9.0.1. So if that's what you have, that should be fine.