MacPorts related questions

William H. Magill magill at mac.com
Tue Nov 14 14:24:00 UTC 2017

> On Nov 14, 2017, at 8:31 AM, pagani laurent via macports-users <macports-users at lists.macports.org> wrote:
>
> Maybe I am misled by a hidden problem but when I moved from Lion to Sierra for similar reasons (browsers not maintained anymore for 10.7, etc.) I experienced a strong slow down of my machine (MBP, 8 Gb Ram, hard drive). I recovered speed when it died and I moved to a more recent machine with 16Gb and a SSD. So I would cautiously upgrade to Mavericks or Yosemite and stop there if enough in your case.
>
> LP

There is a massive amount of conversion work done in the background when you first upgrade to Sierra or High Sierra.
Allowing the system to chug along for about 24 hours (depending on your disk size) gets rid of the sluggishness.

There is a “notification” which pops up warning you of this when you first login after the upgrade, but it is quickly dismissed and forgotten about. :)

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.13.1
# Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.13.1
# MacPro5,1 Quad-Core Intel Xeon [2.8 GHz - 16 GB 1066 MHz] OSX 10.13.1
magill at icloud.com
magill at mac.com
whmagill at gmail.com