MacPorts related questions

pagani laurent laurent.pagani at laposte.net
Tue Nov 14 13:31:35 UTC 2017

Maybe I am misled by a hidden problem but when I moved from Lion to Sierra for similar reasons (browsers not maintained anymore for 10.7, etc.) I experienced a strong slow down of my machine (MBP, 8 Gb Ram, hard drive). I recovered speed when it died and I moved to a more recent machine with 16Gb and a SSD. So I would cautiously upgrade to Mavericks or Yosemite and stop there if enough in your case.

LP

> On Nov 14, 2017, at 03:39, iEFdev wrote:
>
>>> Lion is old. If possible on your Mac, please consider upgrading to a newer version of macOS.
>>
>> Yes, I'll maybe go to ML. I stopped at Lion and didn't think ML brought much more to it, but it seems to be the bottom low version today. On my way to migrate my Mac Pro -> mini and the run it off-line. Perhaps I should do a clean install of ML then.
>
> Mountain Lion is not much better, from our perspective, because Mountain Lion and earlier use libstdc++, which doesn't support C++11, which many ports are requiring. Mavericks and later use libc++ which supports C++11. If your Mac can upgrade to Mountain Lion, it can upgrade to at least El Capitan, possibly even High Sierra. I'd recommend you upgrade to the newest version you can.

"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème" (devise Shadok)