Questions on the update to Apache 2.4

William H. Magill magill at mac.com
Wed Nov 22 19:25:26 UTC 2017

> On Nov 22, 2017, at 1:58 PM, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca> wrote:
>
> Minor further questions…I’m a real neophyte at web servers so be gentle!
>
> It seems that mod_rewrite and mod_deflate are both commented out by default.  I believe they were both enabled in the prior version.  Is there any particular reason for the change?
>
> Is it safe to use an httpd.conf file from Apache 2.2 with the new version?  Or is it important to start with the new template and make necessary changes to it?
>
> Craig

I can’t comment on the Mod_rewrite and mod_delete as I don’t use them on my server.

As for using (attempting to use) the 2.2. config file — don’t do it. There are some important differences which will cause thing to fail.
Diff the two config files and then pick “2.2 old stuff” and put it in the 2.4 config file.

For example:

2.2 Deny from all
vs
2.4  Require all denied

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.13.1
# Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.13.1
# MacPro5,1 Quad-Core Intel Xeon [2.8 GHz - 16 GB 1066 MHz] OSX 10.13.1
magill at icloud.com
magill at mac.com
whmagill at gmail.com