uninstall inactive port breaks active port

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Oct 7 23:26:22 UTC 2017

On Oct 7, 2017, at 07:15, db wrote:

> py-readline was replaced by py-gnureadline
>
> https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/9beeded98a3eba28030e4993153a037366f5bda5
>
> Can I safely uninstall it?

Yes.

> $ port installed inactive
> The following ports are currently installed:
>  py27-readline @6.2.4.1_1
> $
> $ sudo port uninstall inactive
> Note: It is not recommended to uninstall/deactivate a port that has dependents as it breaks the dependents.
> The following ports will break: scapy @2.3.3_0
> Continue? [y/N]: n
> --->  Cleaning py27-readline
> $
> $ port rdeps scapy | grep readline
>  py27-gnureadline
>              readline
> $
> $ port rdependents py27-readline
> The following ports are dependent on py27-readline:
>  scapy
>

> --->  py27-readline is replaced by py27-gnureadline
> --->  Computing dependencies for py27-gnureadline
> --->  Fetching distfiles for py27-gnureadline
> --->  Attempting to fetch python-gnureadline-38f917de65ff089a22d551775f41a7300eb13010.tar.gz from http://nue.de.distfiles.macports.org/py-gnureadline
> --->  Verifying checksums for py27-gnureadline
> --->  Extracting py27-gnureadline
> --->  Applying patches to py27-gnureadline
> --->  Configuring py27-gnureadline
> --->  Building py27-gnureadline
> --->  Staging py27-gnureadline into destroot
> --->  Installing py27-gnureadline @6.3.3-20151013_0
> --->  Cleaning py27-gnureadline
> --->  Unable to deactivate py27-readline @6.2.4.1_1, the following ports depend on it:
> --->  	scapy @2.3.3_0+gnuplot+graphviz
> Warning: Deactivate forced.  Proceeding despite dependencies.
> --->  Deactivating py27-readline @6.2.4.1_1
> --->  Cleaning py27-readline
> --->  Computing dependencies for py27-gnureadline
> --->  Activating py27-gnureadline @6.3.3-20151013_0
> --->  Cleaning py27-gnureadline

When the py*-readline dependency was replaced with py*-gnureadline in ports, those ports' revisions should have been increased to have that change properly recorded in users' MacPorts registries, but that was forgotten:

https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/0b90afa746b9f8935317e6300cd1adc15213234e

I've increased the revision of 3 of the 4 affected ports now:

https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/b0da1e5aee356a6c41d745cc868cec44ba2568a5

The 4th has already been updated in the mean time.