establish installed dependency not in portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Oct 8 20:19:14 UTC 2017

On Oct 8, 2017, at 15:14, db wrote:
> On 8 Oct 2017, at 22:05, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> No, we don't have anything that estimates build time.
>
> Would a feature request make sense? Having build time and open tickets (defect/platform) when running `port outdated` would spare quite a few headaches. As of now, I have to pin compilers locally to avoid rebuilding for every release bump and review the list of outdated ports and eventually query for open tickets. Getting more information from ports would certainly help automatize updating.

I understand it would be useful to you. It would be a lot of work for us to implement. It's included in the list of buildbot improvements Mojca collected:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/51995

("also collect the lists of files + size of compressend & uncompressed archive (and build bir) + potentially the build time just for the latest successful builds")

Note that build time on our server is not going to be the same as build time on your computer. Also I think this information would be of limited use, since most users get our binaries, so they don't care how long it took it to build.