restore_ports.tcl - in infinite loop while sorting (sort_ports $portLis)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Oct 12 10:54:50 UTC 2017

On Oct 11, 2017, at 19:12, William H. Magill wrote:

> I Have upgraded my mini to High Sierra and trying to migrate to Mac Ports 2.4.2.
> (I had previously upgraded my iMac with no problems.)
>
> The mini upgrade is failing in the restore_ports.tcl step
> ——————<cut here>----------------------
> shianbrae> curl --location --remote-name \
> Continue>     https://github.com/macports/macports-contrib/raw/master/restore_ports/restore_ports.tcl
> % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
>                               Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
> 100   164  100   164    0     0     67      0  0:00:02  0:00:02 --:--:--    67
> 100  9474  100  9474    0     0   3411      0  0:00:02  0:00:02 --:--:--  3411
> [/Users/magill] magill
> shianbrae> chmod +x restore_ports.tcl
> [/Users/magill] magill
> shianbrae> sudo ./restore_ports.tcl myports.txt
> Warning: Skipping istumbler (not in the ports tree)
> Error: we appear to be stuck, exiting...
> infinite loop
>  while executing
> "sort_ports $portList"
>  invoked from within
> "set operationList [sort_ports $portList]"
>  (file "./restore_ports.tcl" line 285)
>
> istumbler @99_0+use_binary (active) platform='darwin 16' archs='i386 ppc' date='2016-09-22T12:33:01-0400’
>

> Deleting that entry does not resolve the problem.
> I’m guessing there is another entry that it is trying to retrieve with no luck, but which one?
>
> myports.txt has 324 lines - after deletion of istumbler. (wc -l)
>
> The installation is nominally Apache2, Aspell, Mailman, Mysql 56, perl5, php56, postfix, python27 and a bunch of xorg stuff that I don’t recall what it is from.
> I can ship off the file if anyone is interested.
>
> Should this get a ticket filed?
>
> I can simply re-install individually, unless there is an obvious answer to the problem.

It's possible there's a dependency cycle in one of your ports (i.e. A depends on B depends on C depends on A). We don't allow dependency cycles, but every once in awhile they are introduced accidentally. MacPorts itself doesn't handle dependency cycles well, and it's possible restore_ports.tcl doesn't either. At this point I couldn't tell you which of your ports might be affected by that. If you can narrow it down, let us know. (Try restoring half your ports. If that works, try restoring the other half too.)