Firefox and memory (was: Re: High Sierra and MacPorts)

Michael keybounce at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 11:58:20 UTC 2017

On 2017-10-10, at 1:25 PM, [ftp83plus] <gestos at ftp83plus.net> wrote:

> I won’t criticise the typos after reading my own grammar…;-)
>
> As for the processes, I often see kernel_task taking a rather large chunk of CPU. At the moment it’s hovering around 27%, but that’s an exception rather than the rule. Most of the time it’s just Firefox eating about 20% CPU doing nothing else than keeping 30-40 tabs open (found out by trial-and-error it takes more CPU to reload them when clicked (Autounload tab add-on) than it does keeping them loaded (now RAM isn’t too scarce).

For me, I can consistently free up 8 GB of memory by quitting firefox after watching youtube videos and getting a performance decrease. Enabling multi-process mode did not help -- it's not the tabs taking up the memory in my case.

In other words, I can close the window (not just the tab), the memory is still used, I close firefox, and between the drop in real memory and the drop in swapspace, I recover between 7 and 9 GB.

---
Entertaining minecraft videos
http://YouTube.com/keybounce