High Sierra and MacPorts

William H. Magill magill at mac.com
Thu Oct 12 19:02:02 UTC 2017

On Oct 12, 2017, at 11:04 AM, Gestos at ftp83plus.net wrote:

> The issue is the fan speed(=noise) and CPU usage (to a lesser degree), not so much temperature.
>
> 4- more specifically, would fan speed be set based on the CPU load trend, rather than actual temperature? Assuming "preventive cooling" to be more efficient on recent laptops that have less air flow due to thinness, while having cooler, more efficient CPUs).

On my iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.13 I find that the fan hardly ever runs. . .
except if I have run the latest TechTool Pro 9, and let it check the fans and sensors!
TTP winds them up to max as part of its testing, but then leaves them running!

I have a self-installed SSD in this iMac, so I use "SSD Fan Control.app” (free from http://exirion.net/ssdfanctrl/) to get the fans to behave again - switching from Auto to Smart control. I have a Samsung SSD.

I should add — the room where my iMac is located has  pretty constant ambient air temp of 71 degrees.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.13
# Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.13

magill at icloud.com
magill at mac.com
whmagill at gmail.com