Macports installation problem

Arno Hautala arno at alum.wpi.edu
Thu Oct 19 13:18:41 UTC 2017

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 1:46 AM, John <miaojpm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for pointing out that I should open the "Terminal". I tried it; could
> you check if my Cairo is installed successfully? Should I do something on
> Xbox? Thanks!!

> Warning: The Xcode Command Line Tools don't appear to be installed; most
> ports will likely fail to build.
> Warning: Install them by running `xcode-select --install'.

I'm assuming "Xbox" was due to auto-correct :-)

port is informing you that the build tools aren't installed correctly
and then giving you the instructions for installing those tools.

In this case, everything you installed was available as a pre-compiled
binary so you didn't need to compile anything yourself and didn't need
to use those tools. If you install other ports in the future those
builds might fail if you don't install the command line tools or the
rest of Xcode.

If you only need cairo, you are indeed all set for now.