Macports installation problem

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Oct 19 20:44:04 UTC 2017

On Oct 19, 2017, at 00:46, John wrote:

> Thanks for pointing out that I should open the "Terminal". I tried it; could you check if my Cairo is installed successfully? Should I do something on Xbox? Thanks!!
>

> Last login: Wed Oct 18 21:01:15 on ttys001
> John-MacBook-Pro:~ john$ sudo port install cairo
> Password:
> Sorry, try again.
> Password:
> Warning: The Xcode Command Line Tools don't appear to be installed; most ports will likely fail to build.
> Warning: Install them by running `xcode-select --install'.

> --->  Fetching archive for cairo
> --->  Attempting to fetch cairo-1.14.10_0+quartz+x11.darwin_16.x86_64.tbz2 from http://kmq.jp.packages.macports.org/cairo
> --->  Attempting to fetch cairo-1.14.10_0+quartz+x11.darwin_16.x86_64.tbz2.rmd160 from http://kmq.jp.packages.macports.org/cairo
> --->  Installing cairo @1.14.10_0+quartz+x11
> --->  Activating cairo @1.14.10_0+quartz+x11

Yes, the above shows Cairo was successfully installed.

It just so happened that Cairo and all of its dependencies had already been built by our build servers, so you were able to receive pre-built binaries from us. That might not be the case in the future if you upgrade Cairo or try to install other ports, in which case MacPorts will try to build them on your computer. That might fail if you don't have both Xcode and the command line tools installed.

> John-MacBook-Pro:~ john$ xcode-select --install
> xcode-select: note: install requested for command line developer tools

Assuming you followed the prompts shown after you ran "xcode-select --install" and installed the command line tools, and that you also have Xcode installed for example from the App Store, you're all set even if MacPorts needs to try to compile on your system.