How do I use MacPorts' NTPD over Apple's?

Marius Schamschula lists at schamschula.com
Fri Oct 27 23:45:28 UTC 2017

Dave,

When dealing with launchd, I use LauchControl [1]. It is an app that provides a clear GUI for dealing with launchd and launchctl.

You can use this to turn off Appleā€™s ntpd (under System Daemons) and if necessary, tweak any ntpd launchd settings MacPort provides.

However,

sudo port load ntp

should be all that is needed, once any config files have been edited.

[1] http://www.soma-zone.com/LaunchControl/

> On Oct 27, 2017, at 6:36 PM, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
>
> I'm trying to diagnose a weird NTP problem here (Sierra 10.12.6) whereby although it gloms onto one source, the rest remain in ".STEP".  Given that Apple is on the trailing-edge when it comes to third-party software, how do I use MacPorts' version of NTPD?  The mysteries of LAUNCHD continue to elude me...
>
> Yeah, I could merely kill Apple's and run MacPorts' from the command line, but that ain't a permanent solution if it's required.
>
> --
> Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Those who don't understand security will suffer."

Marius
--
Marius Schamschula