Compiling git

Michael keybounce at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 02:02:20 UTC 2017

> Hello my friend,
>
> The only way we would be able to help you is if you
>
> sudo port -v install git
>
> and then tell us what happens.
>
> There are too many unknowns to realistically get you going with any other approach.
>
> Best,
>
> Ken

So I really don't think this is of any help:

keybounceMBP:git michael$ sudo port -v install git
Password:
Warning: port definitions are more than two weeks old, consider updating them by running 'port selfupdate'.
--->  Computing dependencies for git.
--->  Cleaning git
--->  Removing work directory for git
--->  Scanning binaries for linking errors
--->  No broken files found.
keybounceMBP:git michael$

Now, if I uninstall macports git, and then reinstall it:

Oh, wow:

keybounceMBP:git michael$ sudo port uninstall git
Warning: port definitions are more than two weeks old, consider updating them by running 'port selfupdate'.
The following versions of git are currently installed:
  1) git @2.1.3_0+credential_osxkeychain+doc+pcre+perl5_16+python27
  2) git @2.2.0_0+credential_osxkeychain+doc+pcre+perl5_16+python27
  3) git @2.2.1_0+credential_osxkeychain+doc+pcre+perl5_16+python27
  4) git @2.2.2_0+credential_osxkeychain+doc+pcre+perl5_16+python27
  5) git @2.4.5_0+credential_osxkeychain+doc+pcre+perl5_16+python27
  6) git @2.8.0_0+credential_osxkeychain+doc+pcre+perl5_22+python27
  7) git @2.8.2_0+credential_osxkeychain+doc+pcre+perl5_22+python27
  8) git @2.9.1_0+credential_osxkeychain+doc+pcre+perl5_22+python27
  9) git @2.9.3_0+credential_osxkeychain+doc+pcre+perl5_22+python27
 10) git @2.10.1_0+credential_osxkeychain+doc+pcre+perl5_24
 11) git @2.10.2_0+credential_osxkeychain+doc+pcre+perl5_24
 12) git @2.11.0_0+credential_osxkeychain+doc+pcre+perl5_24
 13) git @2.12.0_0+credential_osxkeychain+doc+pcre+perl5_24
 14) git @2.12.2_0+credential_osxkeychain+doc+pcre+perl5_24
 15) git @2.13.0_0+credential_osxkeychain+doc+pcre+perl5_24
 16) git @2.13.1_0+credential_osxkeychain+doc+pcre+perl5_24
 17) git @2.13.3_0+credential_osxkeychain+doc+pcre+perl5_24
 18) git @2.14.0_0+credential_osxkeychain+doc+pcre+perl5_24
 19) git @2.14.1_0+credential_osxkeychain+doc+pcre+perl5_24
 20) git @2.14.1_1+credential_osxkeychain+doc+pcre+perl5_24 (active)
Enter option(s) [1-20/all]:

Lets remove #20 :-)

Now an install ... oh, I was expecting a pre-built.

https://gist.github.com/keybounce/bc46da3308aa6b52221cd0458eb74f26

I cannot figure out how to get macports to do a profile build; as far as I can tell, that's not a supported option.
Nor do I know how to apply a local patch to the source of git when using macports.

> On 2017-10-27, at 11:21 AM, Michael wrote:
>
>> So I'm trying to compile git from sources.
>>
>> The first thing I tried was a straight download of the raw git. No go.
>> The second thing I tried was using the macport patches (a makefile patch setting a linker flag, it looks like).
>>
>> But, attempting to compile the profiling mode fails. There does not seem to be an option in macports for working with profiling.
>>
>> Error line:
>> clang: error: unknown argument: '-fprofile-generate=/Volumes/UserData/Users/michael/Documents/Programming/git'
>> make[1]: *** [credential-store.o] Error 1
>> make: *** [profile] Error 2
>>
>> Full log:
>> https://gist.github.com/keybounce/45621acfa8af7c96ef2668d73db7b329
>>
>> Anything obvious to porters, or should I bounce this up to the git list?
>>
>> ---
>> Entertaining minecraft videos
>> http://YouTube.com/keybounce

---