In a mess with libc++ libstdc++ and OSX 10.7.5 Lion

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Thu Sep 14 08:34:09 UTC 2017

On 14 September 2017 at 10:10, Chris Jones wrote:

> Update to Sierra, it will save you most trouble in the long run.
> No need at all to go to a store to get it done though, just do it
> yourself.... Download the updater from the App Store and follow the
> instructions. Firefox and LibreOffice might also need updating, if you
> haven't kept them up to date, but both will work fine in the newer OS.

Just to avoid any confusion from my long complex email: this *exactly*
is my opinion as well.

Going back in time and activate ports that already worked for you
might be the fastest solution in the short run that could be done in
15-60 minutes (if you know what you are doing) without taking other
risks of potentially hitting other issues on the new os.

But once the super-hurry is over, going to Sierra would greatly
greatly reduce most of your headaches in the long run. The upgrade
should be pretty fast and painless anyway.

Any OSes below 10.9 are a bit of a headache and besides of security
risks & lack of software it only makes sense to use them if you know
exactly what you are doing and if you can help yourself when you hit
problems.

High Sierra is also on the way, but it will bring its own set of
headaches until the majority of ports are fixed, so probably not
suggested to install it yet if you cannot live with broken ports.

Mojca