xcode, clt or both

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Sep 19 03:12:25 UTC 2017

On Sep 18, 2017, at 22:08, Richard L. Hamilton wrote:

> By "We are trying to move toward a future where MacPorts recommends installing only Xcode, and not the command line tools", does that mean that only Xcode will be required then, or that the command line tools should actually be avoided?  Some people will wish to have both, for reasons having nothing to do with MacPorts.

I assume that in such a future version of MacPorts (2.5), having the CLT installed will do no harm, but that it will no longer be required in addition to Xcode to successfully build ports. Currently, if a port fails to build without CLT installed, we tell the user to install CLT. In the future, we will consider it a portfile bug and will fix the port so that it can build without CLT.