xcode, clt or both

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Sep 19 21:06:25 UTC 2017

On Sep 19, 2017, at 11:40, db wrote:
> On 19 Sep 2017, at 01:01, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> For certain subsets of ports, you can get by with installing just one or the other.
>
> How can I know this beforehand? That's the reason I'm actually asking what exactly MP needs Xcode, CLT or both for. For example, if a port uses portgroup xcode, I may infer that it most certainly will need that application.

I'm not aware of a way to know in advance.

As you said, ports that use the xcode portgroup probably need Xcode, but other ports' build systes might also build using Xcode project files even though the ports don't use that portgroup. Other ports' build systems might require an SDK, therefore requiring Xcode.

Other ports' build systems may expect /usr/include to exist, and may thus require the CLT. I believe Jeremy's work in master is supposed to make that less likely to occur.