xcode, clt or both

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Sep 19 21:10:46 UTC 2017

On Sep 19, 2017, at 12:21, Arno Hautala wrote:

> I think Xcode is only required by a few ports. Certainly a minority.
> It might be nice if Xcode showed up as a dependency or could be
> searched on.

That's not currently possible because the data on which that would be based has not been collected; ports currently simply do not indicate whether they require Xcode or CLT. Partly this is historical, because we did not used to have a buildbot system so all users had to build from source, and Xcode and the CLT used to be installed by the same installer package, so we simply required that users had installed that installer package.

If someone wanted to now add code in MacPorts base to accommodate indicating an Xcode or CLT requirement, and then go through and mark each of our 10,000+ Portfiles as to which they require, they could do that, but it would be a lot of work. Instead, I think our focus is as I said, to make Xcode the only requirement, and to no longer require the CLT.