OpenModelica?

Adam Dershowitz dersh at alum.mit.edu
Sat Apr 7 18:25:49 UTC 2018

> On Apr 7, 2018, at 1:53 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>

> On Apr 7, 2018, at 12:49, Ken Cunningham wrote:
>
>> sounds like this software needs a port and a maintainer!
>
> It already has a port, and a collection of hundreds of related ports, in an entirely separate ports collection that the user must load into MacPorts in order to use. The previous messages in this thread describe Murray's attempts to do so on his system. I don't know why the developers of openmodelica have chosen to distribute their software in this way, rather than submit their portfiles for inclusion in the standard ports repository like everyone else does.

I’ve been using this port for a long time successfully.  It is a good project.  They have tended to be responsive and helpful when issues on the Mac version have come up.
My impression of why they continue to operate this way is probably due to two things:  1)  Inertia…it’s the way that they have always done it.  2)  the openmodelica-devel port is auto generated because it links to the source files that change several times per day in their development repository.  They do also have separate ports for openmodelica and openmodelica-release that don’t change close to as often.

My guess is they would be fine with having a port created and maintained within macports, but they just don’t have the interested in doing it themselves, as they have a system that works.

--Adam