OpenModelica?

Adam Dershowitz dersh at alum.mit.edu
Sat Apr 7 18:29:19 UTC 2018

> On Apr 7, 2018, at 1:17 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>

> On Apr 7, 2018, at 11:27, Murray Eisenberg wrote:
>
>> Thanks, that seems to have worked.
>>
>> To do the remaining steps…
>>
>> port selfupdate
>> port install gcc44 # With the addition of llvm/clang as the default compiler in XCode, many ports now fail to build unless you force GCC to be used
>> port install openmodelica-devel +libraries +clang
>>
>> …should I still stay in that root shell?
>
> It does say in their instructions, before those commands, "run (as root):"
>
> You will need to be root to selfupdate and install ports, but usually you should do that by putting "sudo" in front of those commands.
>
> It's unfortunate they're suggesting you should install an obsolete port like gcc44. The last version of gcc44 was released 6 years ago and we don't support it on High Sierra and later. The current stable version of gcc is gcc7.

The current version of openmodelica doesn’t need, or use, gcc44 and the +clang variant is also not required.  I think that they have just not updated the mac instructions in a long time.  Currently, all that should be required to install openmodelica-devel is adding the repository to macports, then doing:

sudo port install openmodelica-devel +libraries

(and even +libraries is not necessary, but adds a number of useful libraries)

--Adam