Compiling TeX Live on 10.5 (was: libatomic build failure 10.5/x86)

Riccardo Mottola riccardo.mottola at libero.it
Wed Apr 25 18:46:08 UTC 2018

Hi Mojca,

On 2018-04-25 11:05:31 +0200 Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org> wrote:

> I cannot say why this breaks. This gcc 6 compiler is selected because
> of
>     PortGroup cxx11 1.1
> but as far as I remember only dvisvgm required C++11 and that one is
> packaged as a separate port anyway. You could try building with gcc 7
> (in case it "helps", I tried to build TeX Live 2018 on 10.5/PPC and
> that one failed due to another compiler error).
>
> Last year I was able to compile TeX Live 2017 (outside of MacPorts) on
> 10.6 with gcc 4.2 against 10.5 SDK (after disabling dvisvgm build).

I need it just as a dependency of gtk2. It is interesting that my last
install (just 1 or 2 months ago) did not require it!

> But TeX Live 2018 requires C++11 anyway (ok, maybe it only does so
> because of ICU, poppler etc., and the rest of the sources would still
> compile without it), so you would soon run into the same compiler
> problem.

Maybe we can disable it in gtk2 for old OS's?

> As a quick fix, I would suggest you to pass the
>     --disable-luajittex
> flag. Again, I'm not sure why this would be needed, it should
> theoretically work (I have a working luajittex for 10.5/i386), but
> that might be the fastest workaround. I'm pretty sure you don't need
> that binary there.
>
> That's already the case for PPC:
>
> https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/blob/master/tex/texlive-bin/Portfile#L199
>
> If this is in fact broken for some weird reason, we should at least:
> - disable luajit in texlive-bin for 10.5/i386 (maybe do more testing)
> - test whether gcc 7/8 has the same issue and potentially report it
> upstream

as a "quick fix" I just edited the Portfile

/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs/ports/tex/texlive-bin

and added

--disable-luajittex \

to configure.args

Is that fine? because even after cleaning the build fails stubbornly
in the same place in LuaJIT!

Riccardo