tcl-sqlite3

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Aug 26 03:27:03 UTC 2018

On Aug 25, 2018, at 11:18, Joshua Root wrote:

>>> The tcl-sqlite3 port could probably be updated if a ticket is filed. I
>> I could do that, of course, if required.
>>
>>> think it may have languished in part because there was a question of how
>>> useful it is now that Tcl 8.6 has sqlite3 built in.
>> has it? I am not aware of this: there is no command `sqlite3' available
>> in my tclsh 8.6.8 (the one provided by macports) before I do `package
>> require sqlite3' (which loads the separately installed sqlite3 package,
>> e.g. the ports-provided one). of course, if you issue "sqlite3" at the
>> tlcsh prompt, you usually fire up the standalone `sqlite3' comand line
>> utility and get it's prompt. but that is of course not the same thing...
>>
>> so if I have missed something: could you please elaborate a bit on this?
>
> If you uninstall the tcl-sqlite3 port, you should find that 'package
> require sqlite3' loads a newer version of the package.
>
> % port contents tcl | grep sqlite
>  /opt/local/lib/sqlite3.21.0/libsqlite3.21.0.dylib
>  /opt/local/lib/sqlite3.21.0/pkgIndex.tcl
>  /opt/local/lib/tcl8/8.6/tdbc/sqlite3-1.0.6.tm
>  /opt/local/share/man/mann/sqlite3.n.gz
>  /opt/local/share/man/mann/tdbc_sqlite3.n.gz

Soo... that loads the sqlite 3.21.0 version of the extension, which as you say is bundled with Tcl.

It seems like it would be better if we updated the tcl-sqlite3 port to match the version in the sqlite3 port, which is 3.24.0, and remove these parts from the tcl port.

We could make updates to tcl-sqlite3 automatic by making it a subport of the sqlite3 port.