sunclock

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Dec 10 08:50:32 UTC 2018

On Dec 9, 2018, at 22:15, macports at raf.org wrote:

> Hi Marius,
>
> Thanks. It's the X11 app I'm interested in.
>
> I don't think I can compile the one on github.
> It requires xmkmf which doesn't seem to be
> anywhere on my laptop (macos 10.11).
>
> Actually, I just realised that the sunclock
> I'm using (on macos 10.11) is sitting under
> my ~/bin directory. It's not a macports
> package under 10.11 either. I assumed that
> it still was.
>
> I guess I'll be fine as long as that binary
> keeps working. :-)

xmkmf is part of the ancient imake build system. MacPorts does have an imake port, and MacPorts base does have support for building with this build system ("use_xmkmf yes"), so you could work on contributing a port for this software if it interests you.

I would not recommend using the GitHub URL Ken mentioned, since that does not appear to be an authoritative source of the software; somebody just took someone else's software and uploaded it there, which seems to happen a lot on GitHub, so you have to be careful of that.

The project's real homepage has disappeared; here is the last copy of the real homepage that I could find archived:

https://web.archive.org/web/20080821132523/http://www.arvernes.com/wiki/index.php/Sunclock

It describes version 3.56, though it looks like a version 3.57 was available at one time; that's the version Debian and FreeBSD are using.