pkg reclaim and versions check

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 02:50:50 UTC 2018

On 2018-12-26, at 7:19 PM, Riccardo Mottola via macports-users wrote:

> Hi,
>
> how can I be sure that reclaim doesn't remove stuff that I actually need? Fine removing older inactive versions, but not the current active one (except, perhaps, if it was installed as a no-longer needed depdendency).
> I ask, because once it happened to loose half of my ports! So I checked.
>
> Right now it tells me, e.g.:
>
> --->  Checking for unnecessary unrequested ports
> Unrequested ports without requested dependents found:
> clang-3.4  @3.4.2_12+analyzer
> clang-5.0  @5.0.2_2+analyzer+libstdcxx
> clang-5.0  @5.0.2_3+analyzer+emulated_tls+libstdcxx
> <... etc>
>
> but if I check:
>
> port installed clang-5.0
> The following ports are currently installed:
>  clang-5.0 @5.0.2_2+analyzer+libstdcxx
>  clang-5.0 @5.0.2_3+analyzer+emulated_tls+libstdcxx (active)
>
> port installed clang-3.4
> The following ports are currently installed:
>  clang-3.4 @3.4.2_12+analyzer (active)
>

> Wouldn't reclaim remove also the current active port?
>
> Riccardo

It can be risky to use port reclaim for systems that can't use the buildbots as backup, or don't have a buildbot like 10.5 Intel or 10.4 PPC.

You must be quite careful, or you'll be doing a lot of needless rebuilding.

For each port or ports that you know you want, do this:

sudo port setrequested portname(s)

Even then, it's fairly easy to make an error.