running macports along with homebrew

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Wed Feb 14 22:52:25 UTC 2018

On Feb 14, 2018, at 5:33 PM, Ken Cunningham <ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com> wrote:
> homebrew is easier to use, and works for 99% of people without any trouble.
>
> MacPorts is better in most ways, but a bit harder to use, and has more of a learning curve to it.

I think we should look at ways in which MacPorts is harder to use and see if we can address those.

Homebrew has some 'hype' advantages (by using a more popular scripting language and making good use of github early on) - but also has repeated a lot of mistakes that MacPorts made early on (and seems to have eventually made many of the same decisions on how to avoid those problems - but I haven't looked recently at it since MacPorts does what I want really well).

--
Daniel J. Luke