distfile downloads failing on https

Jan Stary hans at stare.cz
Wed Feb 21 19:14:13 UTC 2018

On Feb 21 08:11:26, ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com wrote:
> I should have been more descriptive about the /opt/bootstrap part of the post below.
>
> Like  you, I didn't like the circular dependency. If you "sudo port uninstall active", you're hooped. So here's what I actually do on all systems 10.4 to 10.7
>
> using Macports from this page <https://www.macports.org/install.php> and more specifically from here <https://github.com/macports/macports-base/releases/download/v2.4.2/MacPorts-2.4.2.tar.bz2> and with reference to the instructions for <https://guide.macports.org/#installing.macports.source.multiple>
>
> 1. install a copy of macports from source code into /opt/bootstrap
>
> cd MacPorts-2.4.2
> ./configure --prefix=/opt/bootstrap --with-applications-dir=/opt/bootstrap/applications
> make
> sudo make install
> cd ..
> rm -rf MacPorts-2.4.2
>
> then as per <https://guide.macports.org/#installing.macports.source.multiple>
>
> bbedit /opt/bootstrap/etc/macports/macports.conf
> and add
> startupitem_install no
>
> 2. once that is finished, I do this
>
> sudo /opt/bootstrap/bin/port sync
> sudo /opt/bootstrap/bin/port -v -N install curl
>
> You should now have an independent free-standing macports installation with curl

I like the multiple installation and the extra setup even less.

> 3. now using a fresh copy of the Macports source
>
> cd MacPorts-2.4.2
> ./configure --with-curlprefix=/opt/bootstrap
> make
> sudo make install
>
> and then adjust your PATH to point to /opt/local/bin as usual for MacPorts.
> You are done. No more circular dependency.

Yes. One installation of MP depends on another installation.

If I am reading https://guide.macports.org/chunked/reference.phases.html
right, there is are no "fetch dependencies". Would it make sense
to introduce fetch dependencies just like we have build dependencies
and run dependencies, so that the affected ports could specify e.g. curl,
and MP vuld use _that_ for those ports?

> NOTE:
> when Macports updates to a new version,
> it does not remember the curlprefix,
> and so it installs against /usr/lib/libcurl again.

I install and upgrade manually from git.

> Sorry if this is long and seems complicated --
> I was trying to be as complete as possible.

No problem - thank you for the insight.

	Jan