Macports and launchd

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jan 2 20:40:42 UTC 2018

On Jan 2, 2018, at 12:01, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> I keep seeing things like the below in my system.log, and it's annoying:
>
>    Jan  3 04:47:43 ozzie com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (org.macports.lighttpd): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.
>    Jan  3 04:47:44 ozzie com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (org.macports.ntp): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.
>
> I don't recall installing "lighttpd" (whatever that is), but I use "ntpd" to sync with my FreeBSD server which will shortly be GPS-locked; the default Apple servers are on the other side of the world, and I'm a bit of a locavore.
>
> What do I need to do to shut 'em up?  Note that my knowledge of "launchd" (some sort of a replacement for /etc/inetd?) is limited to knowing how to spell it...

Sounds like both lighttpd and ntp are either crashing or exiting with an error immediately after launch. So neither of them are working for you right now.

lighttpd is a web server. If you don't want it, unload its plist (sudo port unload lighttpd) and then uninstall it.

If you want to figure out why ntp is crashing or exiting, look at its log file or look for crash logs. Also try running the command that starts ntp yourself on the command line; see what errors show up.