10.13.2 supplemental update & root account

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jan 16 04:30:51 UTC 2018

On Jan 14, 2018, at 19:26, Bjarne D Mathiesen wrote:

> The 10.13.2 supplemental update in-activates the root account if enabled
> Luckily, on the machines I've updated, I also had a normal admin
> account, so no big deal ; but I also have a machine with no normal admin
> account, so if it does that on that one also, it'll be a hell of a
> problem getting an admin account again (I do know how to do it)

Using the root account is not recommended; you should use an admin account instead.

If you must use the root account, and you have no admin account with which to enable it the normal way, you can apparently enable it in single user mode:

http://sachinparmarblog.com/enable-root-user-password-in-single-user-mode/