binary packages for 10.5.8

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 16 10:05:07 UTC 2018

On 16/01/18 09:55, Jan Stary wrote:

>>> Why?
>>
>> many reasons. For instance security. In my view users should always migrate
>> their machines to the most up to date OS they can run,
>
> Some intel macbooks will not run anything after 10.5.8.

That is why I said most recent OS it can run.
If that Mac OS is then one no longer receiving security updates, then
personally I would consider migrating that machine away from OSX towards
another system (say linux) that does support it with an up to date OS. I
personally would be quite uncomfortable use an unmaintained  OS for my
daily computing needs...

>> one that is still receiving security updates,
>
> and having all the new bugs and incompatible frameworks,

two different things. I am talking about the major security issues (like
Meltdown/Spectra to be topical, or going back a bit the SSL issues) that
aren't, and never will be, fixed on an ancient OS like 10.5. I don't
care about the silly little bugs that inevitably come with new OSes, and
get squash soon after and have no real long term impact.

>> in order to not expose themselves to possible issues.
>> 10.5 for sure hasn't received any security updates
>> in a long long while...
>
> (More updates for an OS = more secure OS, clearly.)

IMHO For an OS to be secure it has to be actively receiving new updates
as required, to react to future threats as they come.

> Can you please point me to the list of updates
> for the respective releases?

No

> 	Jan

Chris