installation failure because can't fetch the file (10.6.8)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jan 19 20:36:24 UTC 2018

On Jan 19, 2018, at 11:46, Franco Vaccari wrote:

> Here it is, but I wonder whether such a SSL version requirement is per-package, because I had no problem in installing a large number of packages before finding this issue.

The people who run the servers that distribute python-related files have updated their configuration in such a way that the openssl library that's part of older versions of macOS cannot connect to it anymore.

https://pyfound.blogspot.de/2017/01/time-to-upgrade-your-python-tls-v12.html

We should be mirroring these files automatically so that you don't notice this problem, but we aren't. It's my fault for not working on deploying the configuration to our servers.

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/53347

I have manually mirrored the specific file you mentioned; it should show up publicly within the hour. Feel free to email me personally if you need other files mirrored.

FYI, I understand not wanting to change a running system, but in case you thought it's impossible, it is possible to upgrade Xserves past Snow Leopard. Officially, Xserve1,1 and Xserve2,1 support up to OS X 10.7 and Xserve3,1 supports up to OS X 10.11. Unofficially, there are ways to upgrade each of them to newer versions of macOS, and the MacPorts buildbot system uses virtual machines on Xserve3,1 running VMware ESXi to build all MacPorts packages from Mac OS X 10.6 through macOS 10.13.