Julia subpackages

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jul 18 18:41:06 UTC 2018

On Jul 17, 2018, at 16:57, Jonathan Stickel wrote:

> I just started using Julia. Julia installed fine via Macports. However, any and all subpackages (e.g., IJulia and PyPlot) are missing from MacPorts. Julia has its own packaging system, so these can be added from a Julia interactive session, like so:
>
> julia> Pkg.add("PyPlot")
>
> But you have to be super careful to point Julia to existing Python commands, e.g.,
>
> julia> ENV["PYTHON"]="python"
>
> or it will automatically install an entire miniconda environment inside the hidden .julia directory inside your home directory! I find this quite undesirable.
>
> Are there other Macports' Julia users out there? Are you satisfied with this situation? Is there interest in making ports of the popular Julia packages that could be installed in /opt/local/? Some googling shows that it should be possible, but it is certainly not popular.

I don't have an answer for your question, but I just want to remind you that MacPorts has moved away from macOS forge, and our list addresses have changed from lists.macosforge.org to lists.macports.org; please update any email addresses that may be in your address book or email program's saved addresses. Your message was redirected to the new list, and I received it, but users whose email providers have more restrictive security settings can't receive them, so it's important to address messages to the new list initially.