Julia subpackages

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 21:57:01 UTC 2018

I just started using Julia. Julia installed fine via Macports. However,
any and all subpackages (e.g., IJulia and PyPlot) are missing from
MacPorts. Julia has its own packaging system, so these can be added from
a Julia interactive session, like so:

julia> Pkg.add("PyPlot")

But you have to be super careful to point Julia to existing Python
commands, e.g.,

julia> ENV["PYTHON"]="python"

or it will automatically install an entire miniconda environment inside
the hidden .julia directory inside your home directory! I find this
quite undesirable.

Are there other Macports' Julia users out there? Are you satisfied with
this situation? Is there interest in making ports of the popular Julia
packages that could be installed in /opt/local/? Some googling shows
that it should be possible, but it is certainly not popular.

Regards,
Jonathan