gcc49 fails to build

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Tue Jun 5 17:15:15 UTC 2018

On Tue, 5 Jun 2018, Ken Cunningham wrote:

> You will still need to fix this
> <https://github.com/Homebrew/formula-patches/blob/master/gcc%405/10.13_headers.patch>
> , and who knows what else....
>
> The real question is why? What do you need gcc49 for that gcc5 doesn't do?

Because I use whatever MacPorts comes with...  I don't touch *anything* in
that area except upon advice from this list (I don't futz around with
symlinks, for example, although I can under FreeBSD).

If it wants to build with gcc49, then, well, it wants to build with gcc49;
I certainly didn't tell it to...

> If there is any good reason that would certainly make the exercise
> somewhat more palatable....

Or are you saying that I need the latest Xcode, which needs High Sierra,
which seems to refuse to install on this box?  13", late 2009, firmware
"6,1" (note the comma).

There aren't any firmware upgrades for the thing; I can cheat and reflash
it to look like a "Pro" instead, but I ain't about to go down that route
any time soon...

-- Dave, with a seamless upgrade on his iPhone 5s from iOS 10 to 11.4