gcc49 fails to build

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Tue Jun 5 23:52:25 UTC 2018

Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Jun 2018, Ken Cunningham wrote:
>
>> You will still need to fix this
>> <https://github.com/Homebrew/formula-patches/blob/master/gcc%405/10.13_headers.patch>
>> , and who knows what else....
>>
>> The real question is why? What do you need gcc49 for that gcc5 doesn't do?
>
> Because I use whatever MacPorts comes with...  I don't touch *anything* in
> that area except upon advice from this list (I don't futz around with
> symlinks, for example, although I can under FreeBSD).
>
> If it wants to build with gcc49, then, well, it wants to build with gcc49;
> I certainly didn't tell it to...

I'm sure you didn't, but after a default variant is chosen the first
time you install, it sticks across upgrades. This proposal would fix
your problem: <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/46956>

In the meantime, whichever port it is that is using gcc49 should be
changed to not do so on platforms or with Xcode versions where it won't
work. These commands might help find out which one(s): 'port dependents
gcc49', 'port dependents libgcc', 'port installed variant:gcc49'.

>> If there is any good reason that would certainly make the exercise
>> somewhat more palatable....
>
> Or are you saying that I need the latest Xcode, which needs High Sierra,
> which seems to refuse to install on this box?  13", late 2009, firmware
> "6,1" (note the comma).

The opposite. Newer Xcode versions fail to build gcc49 and older.

- Josh