Odd mpv configure series failure following fresh reinstall

Lee Bast x-lists at asgarda.com
Sat Jun 9 04:28:56 UTC 2018

Thanks for the suggestion but no go, also the variants are a red herring and don't matter, it has the exact same build failure with a pure vanilla 'port install mpv', zero variants at all. Dies on checking for Lua, despite lua52 being a dependent that gets automatically installed first (and after trying to install mpv and checking 'port installed' it shows lua52 as active like expected, and lua5.2 is there in /opt/local/bin). Stumped, worked fine until the last upgrade. Maybe I'll spin up some VMs this weekend to play with it in.

> On Jun 7, 2018, at 2126 , Ken Cunningham <ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 10.13, current Xcode, everything up to date in App Store and running the newest MacPorts there is:
>
> sudo port -v -N install mpv +audiocd+bundle+caca+dvd+libarchive+network+opengl+osd+python27+rubberband+screenshot+smb+uchardet+zsh
>
> installs through to completion without touching a single thing.

Yeah, same here until this attempt. I've been running MacPorts and mpv for many years.

> Here’s my suggestion:
>
> sudo port clean mpv
>
> open Xcode in /Applications/Xcode.app
> let it do anything it wants to do, install anything it wants to install
> then quit it again
>
> go here:
>
> cd /opt/local/var/macports/build
>
> and if you see anything at all in that folder, look at the last part of the name for a clue as to what it is, and
>
> sudo port clean

None of this does anything since Xcode is up to date and after the failure I just rolled back the entire filesystem to pre-mpv install.

> it.
>
> If there are still things in there after that
>
> sudo rm -rf each and every folder you see (carefully!)
>
> unti that folder is completely and totally empty.
>
> then:
>
> sudo port -v -N install mpv +audiocd+bundle+caca+dvd+libarchive+network+opengl+osd+python27+rubberband+screenshot+smb+uchardet+zsh
>
> and report back if it still doesn’t work.

Even trying to install it, let it fail, do a clean, then trying again (since at this point lua will have already been installed by the previous failed attempt) doesn't succeed, it dies trying to check for lua anyway. It works for you though despite it failing for me on multiple machines with different configs, most perplexing.

> I have MacPorts installs that go back years and have never once been deleted and reinstalled.

Yeah, I switched from fink in like 2006ish IIRC, and mostly it's great. Technically I'm sure it's possible to recover from nearly any problem without a nuke&pave if you know enough about it and are fresh enough on dealing with it, in practice though I've found as a more casual user there are times where it has been faster to just start over rather then spend time digging around. I'll try playing around with it a little more though, but if it's only mpv might try just compiling from source and then leave it be for a year.

Thanks again!