Advice on distributing a project

Langer, Stephen A. (Fed) stephen.langer at nist.gov
Thu Jun 28 19:56:56 UTC 2018

On 6/28/18, 3:30 PM, "Ryan Schmidt" <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

    On Jun 28, 2018, at 14:00, Langer, Stephen A. (Fed) wrote:

    > It *is* rebuilding glib2 when I run "port mpkg oof3d".   I have -x11 +no_x11 +quartz in variants.conf, but glib2 is installed with +x11.   Is mpkg noticing that the installed variant isn't the default variant and thinking that it has to rebuild?

    I remember that "port pkg" builds the port again and packages up the contents of the new destroot directory, rather than packaging the port that has already been installed. I'm not 100% sure why it does that. I don't know what "port mpkg" does but it wouldn't surprise me if it does the same thing. And if that's so, I can't think of a good way to pass a variant selection to only one of the dependencies. I guess the best solution would be to fix whatever's wrong with gtk2 that makes it not work with glib2's quartz variant.

It's the same problem as https://trac.macports.org/ticket/56461 and https://trac.macports.org/ticket/54981.   Is that a problem with glib2 or with all of the ports that use it?

I thought I'd try to force the x11 variant of glib2 -- I restored the default variants.conf, ran 'port install glib2' and 'port pkg glib2', copied the .pkg file to the mpkg_packages directory for oof3d, changed variants.conf back to quartz mode, and ran 'port mpkg oof3d'.  But MacPorts was too smart for that and wanted to rebuild glib2 with +quartz.

Could I make a new port, called say glib2x11, whose +quartz variant is the same as glib2's +x11 variant?   How would I tell all the ports that use glib2 to use glib2x11 instead?

-- Steve