running macports along with homebrew

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 04:16:34 UTC 2018

On 2018-02-13, at 12:20 PM, db wrote:

>> 2. HEAD variants.
>> This is a specific MacPorts decision, based on the "reproducible builds" philosophy. It's open for debate at times, I would think.  It's easy to do it, but we just don't do it on purpose.
>> I have overridden this and allowed a +HEAD variant on one occasion at the request of a heavy user of the software (see the widelands Portfile).
>> Anyone with a passing level of MacPorts knowledge can bump a Portfile to the latest commit on their own in a few seconds, esp if it uses the github Portgroup. I do this all the time.
>> This could be added quite easily if MacPorts wanted to do it -- a small change in the github portgroup would likely suffice to add a +HEAD variant to all github ports.
>
> I have some devel ports locally, that I have to manually update for the latest commit, instead of automatically updating for the current master. I have to check that wielands port.

For a local port repo, this bit in the portfile appears to generate a perfectly usable a HEAD variant for a github portgroup port.

variant HEAD description "build HEAD" {
   github.setup        author project HEAD
   checksum {}
}

As I suspected, it's very simple to implement. MacPorts could easily incorporate this if it wanted to, but it's a specific decision not to allow it. You can use this on your own devel ports if you'd like to.

(I thought I might just be able to override the github.version with HEAD, but that didn't seem to work for some reason. It's quite possible this could be made a bit more elegant. You have to blank out the checksum phase as the checksums vary with each HEAD commit and aren't knowable ahead of time)

Ken