Did anyone else's Perl 5.26 suddenly break?

Bill Cole macportsusers-20171215 at billmail.scconsult.com
Thu Mar 8 02:14:42 UTC 2018

On 7 Mar 2018, at 20:28 (-0500), Dave Horsfall wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Mar 2018, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>
>> In Dave's case, he's running a perl script and not building with a
>> compiler - so it's not CPPFLAGS but rather @INC changes with perl
>> 5.26 that he's seeing.
>
> Yeah, I saw that, but I worked it out.  Putting "#!/usr/bin/env perl
> -I." as the shebang fixed it until/if/when I release the code, and
> "perl -c -I." for my "make check" target in the [mM]akefile

You should note that the name of the environment variable to turn on the
traditional behavior is PERL_USE_UNSAFE_INC.
So: not something to allow anywhere near a release. Probably not
something to use outside of a developer's personal machine.

> (and how I loathe the Mac's file system and its stupid mixed-case
> handling).

If you can do live without Adobe CC and a shrinking handful of other
shoddy software, switching to case-sensitive is mostly painless.
Switching BACK is painful but i've been running MacOS X on
case-sensitive file systems exclusively since the first stable developer
preview, so I can attest to the problems with using a case-sensitive
filesystem going from frequent to almost never over that time.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org
Currently Seeking Steady Work: https://linkedin.com/in/billcole