Is there and "rdist" for Mac?

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Fri Mar 16 08:11:56 UTC 2018

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018, Kenneth F. Cunningham wrote:

>> Running "locate rdist" on the Mac is less than helpful, so is there a
>> tool similar to BSD's "rdist"?
>
> Wow, that's old. 1998.

Which sorta describes me :-)  Back when I was working, we used a custom
script called RDIST which of course used "rdist" (or was it "rsync"?)
under the bonnet, and naturally I don't have access to that script unless
I bribe a former cow-orker...

What should I be using now?

> Here's what I have so far, which bogs down in the build pretty early due
> to 20 year old weirdness, I guess….

Hmmm...  I'll take a look, but if there's something a bit more modern then
of course I'll use it.

Basically I'm after three-way master replication i.e. any box can be the
"master" at any arbitrary time, if that makes sense; develop on Mac, test
on FreeBSD, see what the Penguin busted, and any can be the "master" at
that time, pushing sources back to the others (but the Mac will be the
ultimate repository, or it might be the FreeBSD server, etc).

Is that making sense?  It's been ages since I've been in the multi-arch
game...

My experience?  Wrote my first program (BASIC) when at school in 1970,
and worked with Unix in all its forms since about '75 or so...